Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Straight Into The Teeth Of Spring

I knew it was going to be a great day on the river when I discovered the nearly perfect skull of a garfish right outside the door of my car. It now holds a prominent position in the Dead Animal Parts ensemble that now adorns my patio table. It stunk up the car mightily on the way back, but that was a small price to pay for a totem of a species that has managed to survive since the Mesozoic Period.

But back to world of the living. Anyone who says we don't have seasons in North Central Florida is oblivious. I was in this same location on the Santa Fe two months ago and all was stripped, barren, and black. Today, explosions of green everywhere...and it's not summer. So for future reference, this is what spring looks like here. The trees seem to know that there will no more hard freezes this year. It will be a few weeks before the gators move out of hibernation and start mistaking my kayak for a mating partner, but this is just fine by me.


The water was nice and high too. During my winter trip, the famed suckhole was a dry debris pit. Today it was draining everything but 14-foot kayaks. The rapids, which we chose not to "shoot" today, are open for business, too. There is an island about halfway down this run that has become my dream spot for a little cabin, hornet's nest notwithstanding, but this a state park and one of the best. Check it out: I know where some more garfish skulls are too, if you want one.


Note: I have really enjoyed the times I have taken friends out for these jaunts. If you're interested, let me know and I will make it happen, kayak and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment